The Message made plain

The Inner Quest Study Course on the Teachings of Jesus

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Lesson 7 -- Bible Passages

.
  1. JN 3:06

    "What is born of the flesh is flesh and what is born of the Spirit is spirit."

  2. LK 9:28.31

    Jesus took Peter, John and James with him and went up a hill to pray. While he was praying, his face changed in appearance and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly, two men were there, talking with him. They were Moses and Elijah. They were splendid in appearance, glorious to see; and they were discussing how Jesus would soon fulfill God’s purpose by dying in Jerusalem.

  3. LK 20:37.38

    "And Moses clearly proves that the dead are raised to life. In the passage about the burning bush, he speaks of the Lord as the ‘God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.’ He is the God of the living, not of the dead; for to Him, all are alive."

  4. LK 12:04.05

    "Don’t be afraid of those who can do nothing worse than to kill the body; but fear God, Who, after killing the body, has the power to cast you into hell. Yes, I tell you — fear Him."

  5. JN 8:23

    "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world."

  6. JN 18:36

    "My kingdom is not of this world.
    If my kingdom were of this world, then my servants would fight so that I should not be handed over to the Jews. But no, my kingdom is not from here."

  7. MT 13:44.46

    "The Kingdom of Heaven is like treasure hidden in the field, which a man discovers and then conceals. Afterwards, he gladly goes and sells everything he has just so he can buy that field. Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like a pearl merchant in search of choice pearls. He discovers a pearl of exceptional value and promptly sells all he owns in order to purchase it."

  8. JN 20:11.20

    Mary stood crying outside the tomb. While she was still crying, she bent over and looked inside the tomb and saw two angels there dressed in white, sitting where the body of Jesus should have been.

    "Woman, why are you crying?" they asked her.

    She answered, "They have taken my Lord away and I do not know where they have put him!" She glanced over her shoulder and saw someone standing behind her. It was Jesus but she didn’t recognize him.

    "Why are you crying?" Jesus asked her. "Whom are you looking for?"

    Thinking him to be the caretaker, she said to him, "If you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him and I will go and get him."

    "Mary!" Jesus said.

    She turned towards him and exclaimed in Hebrew, "Rabboni!" which means Teacher.

    "Don’t touch me," he cautioned, "for I haven’t yet ascended to the Father. But go find my brothers and tell them that I ascend to my Father and your Father, my God and your God."

    So Mary Magdalene went and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord and related to them what he had told her.

    That evening, the disciples were meeting behind closed doors in fear of the Jewish authorities, when suddenly, Jesus was there standing among them. After greeting them, he showed them his hands and side. And how wonderful was their joy as they saw their Lord!

  9. JN 20:24.31

    One of the disciples, Thomas, was not with them when Jesus came. When they kept on insisting that they had seen the Lord, he told them, "I won’t believe it unless I see the wounds in his hands and touch them, and place my hand into his side."

    Eight days later, the disciples were together again and this time, Thomas was with them. The doors were locked; but suddenly, like before, Jesus was standing among them and greeting them. Then he said to Thomas, "Touch the open wounds in my hands. Place your hand on my side. Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!"

    "My Lord and my God!" Thomas said.

    Then Jesus told him, "You believe because you have seen me. But blessed are those who haven’t seen me and believe, just the same."

    The Lord’s disciples saw him do many other miracles besides the ones mentioned in this book; but these are recorded so that you may believe that he is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing in him, you may have life.

  10. JN 21:01.14

    Again Jesus appeared to his disciples at the Sea of Tiberias. Peter, Thomas, Nathanael, the sons of Zebedee and two other disciples of Jesus were all together. Peter said to the others, "I am going fishing."

    "We will come with you," they told him. So they went out in a boat, but all that night, they did not catch a single fish.

    As the sun was rising, Jesus stood at the water’s edge, but the disciples did not know that it was Jesus. Then he asked them, "Young men, did you catch any fish?"

    "No," they answered.

    "Throw out your net on the right side of the boat and you will catch some." So they did; but because they caught so many fish, they couldn’t draw in the net.

    Then John said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" On hearing this, Peter put on his tunic, jumped into the water and swam ashore. The others came to shore in the boat, pulling the net that was so full of fish. When they stepped ashore, they saw a ready fire with fish on it and some bread.

    "Bring some of the fish you have just caught," Jesus said. So Peter went aboard and dragged the net ashore. By his count, there were one hundred and fifty-three large fish; and yet the net hadn’t torn.

    Jesus said to them, "Come and eat." Jesus took the bread and gave it to them; then he did the same with the fish. This, then, was the third time Jesus appeared to his disciples after he was raised from the dead.

  11. JN 14:19

    "In a little while, the world will see me no more, but you will see me; and because I live, you also will live."

  12. JN 11:25.26

    "I am the resurrection and the life: he who believes in me, even if he dies, shall go on living and whoever lives, believing in me, shall never die."

  13. JN 3:11.13

    "I am telling you the truth: I speak of what I know and testify of what I have seen and yet, you won’t believe me. But if you cannot even understand what I am telling you concerning the things of this world, how can you possibly believe me if I told you about the things of heaven? And no man has ever gone up to heaven, except the Son of God who came down to earth from heaven."

  14. JN 14:01.03

    "Don’t let your heart be troubled. You trust in God, now trust also in me. In the kingdom of my Father, there are many mansions. I am going to prepare a place for you. And when everything is ready, then I will come and get you so that you, too, may be with me where I am."

  15. LK 23:39.43

    One of the criminals hanging next to him scoffed at him and said, "If you really are the Messiah, save yourself and us, too!"

    But the other criminal protested, "Don’t you even fear God when you are about to die? We deserve to die because we are guilty, but this man is completely innocent." Then he said, "Lord, remember me when you enter into your kingdom."

    And Jesus replied, "I assure you that this very day, you shall be with me in Paradise."

  16. MT 12:46.50

    Jesus was still talking to the people when his mother and brothers arrived. They stood outside, asking to speak with him. So one of the people there said to him, "Teacher, your mother and brothers are waiting outside and they want to speak with you."

    Jesus answered, "Who is my mother? And who are my brothers?" Then he pointed to his disciples and said, "Look! Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does what my Father in heaven wants him to do is my brother, my sister and my mother."

  17. LK 20:27.36

    Then some Sadducees, who say that people will not rise from death, approached Jesus and said, "The laws of Moses state that if a man dies without children, the man’s brother shall marry the widow and their children will legally belong to the dead man, to carry on his name. We know of a family of seven brothers. The oldest married and then died without having any children. His brother married the widow and he, too, died. Still no children. And so it went, one after the other, until each of the seven had married her and died, leaving no children. Finally, the woman died also. Our question is this: Whose wife will she be at the resurrection? For all of them were married to her?"

    Jesus replied, "Marriage is only for people here on earth, but when those who are declared worthy are raised from the dead and enter the kingdom, they do not marry. And they never die again. Instead, they will be as the angels who are sons of God because they have gained for themselves a new and better kind of life."

  18. MK 10:28.30

    "Let me assure you that no one has ever given up anything — home, brothers, sisters, father, mother, wife, children or property — for me and for the gospel, who won’t be given back, a hundred times over, homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and land, here and in the world to come, including eternal life."

  19. MT 13:47.49

    "Again, the Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by a fisherman. He casts a net into the water and gathers in fish of every kind, valuable and worthless. When the net is full, he drags it to shore, sits down, and sorts out the edible ones into crates and throws the others away. That is the way it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked people from the just."

  20. LK 16:19.31

    "There was a certain rich man," Jesus said, "who was always well dressed and lived each day in merriment and luxury. There was also a poor and sick beggar named Lazarus who used to be brought to the rich man’s door. As he lay there, longing for the leftover scraps from the man’s table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores. Finally, the beggar died and was carried by the angels to be with Abraham in the place of the righteous dead. The rich man also died and was buried, and his soul went to hell. There, in anguish, he saw Lazarus in the distance with Abraham.

    "‘Father Abraham,’ he shouted, ‘pity me! Send Lazarus over here if only to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am being scorched by these flames.’

    "But Abraham said to him, ‘My son, remember when you were still on earth, you had everything you wanted and Lazarus had nothing. So now, he is here, being comforted and you are tormented. And besides, there is a great chasm separating us and anyone who would want to come to you from here won’t be able to do so; nor can anyone from your place cross over to us.’

    "Then the rich man said, ‘I beg you then, Father Abraham, please send him to my father’s home, to my five brothers, to warn them about this place of torment lest they come here when they die!’

    "But Abraham said, ‘The Scriptures have warned them time and again. Your brothers can read them anytime they want to.’

    "The rich man replied, ‘No, Father, they won’t care to read them. But if someone who is dead were to come and talk to them, then they would surely turn from their sins.’

    "But Abraham said, ‘If they won’t listen to Moses and the prophets, they won’t listen, either, even though someone rises from the dead!’"

  21. MT 5:20

    "Unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and other Jewish leaders, you will never be able to enter the Kingdom of Heaven."

  22. JN 12:48

    "Whoever rejects me and does not accept my teachings will, nevertheless, be judged according to the truths I have spoken."

  23. MT 25:31.46

    "When the Son of God with all his holy angels comes, he shall sit upon his throne of glory, and the people of all the nations will be gathered before him. Then he will divide them into two groups, just as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say to those on his right, ‘Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you fed me; I was thirsty and you gave me a drink; I was a stranger and you took me in; naked and you clothed me; sick and in prison and you visited me.’

    "Then, the righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you anything to drink? Or a stranger and help you? Or naked and clothe you? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

    "And the King will tell them, ‘When you did this for the least of my brothers, you were doing it for me!’ Then shall he turn to those on his left and say, ‘Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons. For I was hungry and you wouldn’t feed me; thirsty, and you wouldn’t give me anything to drink; a stranger, and you refused me hospitality; naked, and you wouldn’t clothe me; sick and in prison, and you did not visit me.’

    "Then, they will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison and not help you?’

    "And the King will answer, ‘When you refused to help the least of my brothers, you were refusing to help me.’ And they will go away to eternal punishment; but the righteous shall enter into everlasting life."

  24. JN 5:28.29

    "Don’t be so surprised. Indeed, the time is coming when all the dead in their graves shall hear the voice of the Son of God and shall rise again — those who have done well, to eternal life and those who have continued in evil, to condemnation."

  25. JN 16:25

    "I have used proverbs to tell you these things, but the time is coming when the truth shall not be so veiled and I will speak to you plainly about the Father."

  26. JN 8:31.32

    "If you adhere to my teaching, you will really be my disciples; and you shall know the Truth and the Truth shall make you free."

  27. JN 16:12.13

    "Oh, there is so much more I want to tell you,
    but you cannot understand it now. When the Spirit of Holiness and Truth comes, he will guide you into all truth..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home